Last week we brought you the news that Paramount had acquired the exclusive rights to the Friday the 13th franchise, as well as the Jason Voorhees likeness, and we speculated that a new film would be on the way soon. Well, this week we can safely say that the next film may be sooner than we had hoped.
According to Bloody Disgusting, Platinum Dunes (responsible for such remakes as The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and A Nightmare On Elm St.) is partnering with Paramount to bring us the sequel to the 2009 Friday the 13th remake. This confirmation was inferred from the BD interview with Derek Mears (who played Jason in the remake), who said:
“I spoke to Brad Fuller and he said that the rights are, as everyone knows, over at Paramount and they’re pushing hard. They’re going we want [a new Friday The 13th movie] as fast as possible.”
Mears also implied that he may be back as the hulking slasher in the remake. Honestly, I don’t see the connection between Platinum and Paramount in what BD is reporting, but I’m not going to complain if we’re that much closer to a sequel to the remake.
Speaking of the 2009 remake, I’m still on the fence as far as how much I like it. I loved being tricked before the opening credits, but I’m not sure how I feel about the original Parts I and II being combined. I wonder if this sequel will blend Parts III and IV.
Let us know if you’re excited about a sequel to the remake in the comments section below.
Rock Hard \m/