Pasadena Napalm Division (2013) – Album Review

Yell! Magazine’s Review:

What do you get when you combine old-school thrash with old-school hardcore? You’d be right 99% of the time if you answered Suicidal Tendencies, but today is the other 1%, since we’ve spun the debut offering from Pasadena Napalm Division.

Before you continue reading, go get a beer and click play on the following:

There, your mood is set.

Now, as you listen, I’m sure you can hear the influence; it’s impossible to listen to Pasadena Napalm Division without hearing Suicidal Tendencies or, to a lesser degree, Green Jelly. It’s not a bad thing, since there’s always a time and place for satirical metal, but nothing new is being brought to the table. If you consider, however, that Pasadena Napalm Division is comprised of members of D.R.I. (Kurt Brecht – vocals) and Deadhorse (Greg Martin – guitar, Scott Sevall – guitar, and Ronnie Guyote – drums), it becomes clear that this is a fun side project and not meant to be taken too seriously. (Tony Foresta of Municipal Waste also provides guest vocals.)

Pasadena Napalm Division

What I like about Pasadena Napalm Division is that they’re doing something that’s not being done today. What I don’t like is that it’s been done, it’s a little repetitive, and there’s something depressing about the music. However, if you dig this sub-genre, I think you’re going to love this album because there’s a lot on offer for you.

Best tracks: “100 Beers with a Zombie,” “Failure,” “Murder the Bearded Lady Killer,” and “All of a Sudden Dead.”

The Verdict: [rating:2.5]

While the musicianship is excellent, the lyrics are a riot, and there are some monstrous hooks in there, I’m afraid that listeners will quickly get bored and this album will become a “check this shit out” thing between friends. At most, “100 Beers with a Zombie” will become a house party standard.

Rock Hard \m/

pasadena napalm division cover

Similar Artists:

Suicidal Tendencies, Green Jelly, Ugly Kid Joe

Yell! Rating (x/5 Skulls):
Pasadena Napalm Division
Pasadena Napalm Division
Year Released:
28 May 2013
Minus Head
Thrash, Hardcore
Official URL:
Pasadena Napalm Division

More Articles Like This

Have Your Say Leave A Comment